Summer has come to Tirana and with it has come the humidity and the sudden lightening and thunderstorms. And yet in the early morning (read 0600 hours) the marine air will back up in the surrounding mountains; clouds will float just below the peaks and the air is slightly cool.
With summer has also come a new neighbor to the third floor over the Swedish Embassy. In addition to Anna, Hector's wife, who has brought a glimpse into life in Colorado Springs; we have Alba (named for Albania by Anna) a feral dog, aka. "Monster", so aptly titled by her saviour Meghann.
I would have a picture to post, however, I failed (permission granted Alba is here!) to secure the "parental consent form" (you know how parents can react to unauthorized pictures of their "kids") from Meghann. As soon as I receive permission I will add Alba to this post.
Alba was rescued by Meghann one night in May from an individual in the cafe below our apartments who was brutally assaulting Alba; Alba at the time was between two and three months old(per the vet). A trip to the vet the next day and Meghann is caring for this injured little creature next door and unbeknownst to me(yes, surprises coming for "uncle" Mark)! When I first met Alba, the next day after work,she was hobbling on three legs and cowered when you approached her. To describe her as skin in bones would be an exaggeration of her shape (Alba was so thin she bordered on being "see-thru"); a very pathetic sight to see.
The first few weeks became an adventure for those of us on the third floor. Almost immediately Hector and family left for the weekend in Dubrovnik and I volunteered (I have no idea what I was drinking at the time) to care for Alba. I mean how tough can it be to care for an injured puppy? Well when "uncle Mike came over, Alba attacked his Italian leather loafers with a ferocity that has become her trademark (read rose bushes, carnations, planter soil, Hector's shoe and my coffee table legs[thank God for those furniture coloring pens])and after becoming somewhat satisfied with terrorizing Mike assaulted my toes and flip-flops! Oh, by the way puppy teeth are really, really sharp!!! Yep, some blood letting from all parties who came into contact with Alba/"Monster".
During these past weeks of rehabilitation under Meghann's care and love, Alba has made remarkable progress and has assimilated well into her new "pack". Walks through the park on a leash with Meghann and Anna and a steady diet of healthy food and extra helpings of "love" have transformed Alba the "street mutt" into Alba the "Queen " of her new pack.
I think that means if she bites you when playing she really likes you; I sure hope so as I am running out of antiseptic to treat my wounds! Alba has especially bonded to Meghann and affords her special attention in the form of trying to pull her new pashmina from around her neck.
As of this writing, Alba is about 3-4 months old and originally a "rescue project" is now in my humble opinion, in her "pack" for life. Her coloring is a mottled brown with gold, yellow,and dark brown in the background; her eyes are golden in color and she has two white socks for front feet..pretty sexy for her age! Sure hope that she will understand "Rocky Mountain High"!
This past week, Mike's family(wife Debbie, son Jordan, and daughter Lisa) came to Tirana to for a visit; they are off on an adventure this weekend in the Balkans. Mike brought them to "pizza night" in the 'hood on Thursday; great opportunity for all of us to meet his family.
It must have been a windfall night for the "pizza-dudes' as we ordered eight (8) pizzas for our group. Oh, I probably have not mentioned that incredible pizza for $3.00 US and icy cold beer(24 oz) for $1.50 is our Thursday tradition in the 'hood; yep, nothing but the best for us!
Mike is moving into our building next month on the fourth floor. Our landlords are remodeling the apartment and Mike is picking out the colors of the new furnishings; there goes the 'hood.
All of these photographs were shot from my third floor balcony...I am anxious to see the view in the fall.
Great photos, once again. It was fun to see your "hood". And what a wonderful story of the rescue. Can't wait for that photo. And if Alba is the 'Queen'...how do you think her highness will feel when Gracie comes to visit?
ReplyDeleteLove your writing, Mark...thanks for doing this.
Hugs...Patty and Harry