My Program Manager(read boss) has been gracious in accommodating my transition into the team and my co-workers have helped in more ways than I can count. I have been welcomed by the US Ambassador(Red Sox fan) to Albania; the Director General of the Albanian State Police; multiple subordinate Police figures; PAMECA representatives from England and my grocer(s) at Conad Italian Supermarket.The clerks who chuckle as I read my Italian dictionary; so I can become knowledgeable about the store and products(this is a whole story in it self)!!
I attended a graduation at the Albanian State Police Academy where FBI agents had conducted some valuable officer survival training for select members of the Albanian State Police.
This picture shows the trainers: American ICITAP(my program) advisor an Albanian translator(who is worth his weight in gold). (A note: the translators that I have met possess a mastery of the English language that could put most Americans to shame.) I watched the FBI led training; including car stops and room clearing and entry tactics. I observed excellent hands on training with very attentive and capable instructors.
My new office(read really small) is in a former hotel that is now the headquarters of the Albanian State Police. An interesting design concept in Albania; no centralized heating system resulting in frigid office corridors and excessive use of space heaters. You do not linger in the hallways! Also, inside the Headquarters is a nice Cafe that also serves alcohol. My translator noted my surprise and informed me that was a hold over from the "old" days.
The weather has been absolutely spectacular, with only one day with any rain. It was more of a Portland drizzle and only messed up traffic a little bit. Speaking of traffic, I drove for the first time on Saturday in my slightly scratched and repaired Mitsubishi 4x4. Let me see if I can describe a traffic circle in Albania; have you ever poured a bag of chocolate chip morsels into cookie batter? Okay, imagine them all on top and then you turn on the Kitchenaid mixer and they all merge into this dough; that is traffic in the circles of Tirane and just like the dough you stick to everyone else in the drive around the circle...the fun is trying to separate from the far left and turning right unto your street and yes, it can be done!!
One of my finer moments this past week was renting an apartment. My real estate agent found about 5-6 different locations for viewing. The apartments were all relatively modern and varied in located from first floor villas to 11th story high-rise. After the tour I selected an apartment on the third floor of a four story secure building. The apartment is located above the Swedish Embassy, ensuring electricity and safety.It is a two bedroom, one bath that has been completely remodeled, including a brand new Italian designed kitchen and bathroom.
The apartment has a great view of the valley, surrounding 'hood and secure parking for residents and it is within walking distance to the Embassy. Here's the view:
My real adventure this past week was going for a walk after breakfast on Saturday. I walked through the "millionaire's market" (for the higher cost-aimed at foreigners) with my co-workers.
Many of the vegetables are imported from neighboring countries, i.e., Italy and Greece and are of very high quality...just make sure you wash in mixed bleach and water solution!! Continuing through the stalls and shops, we passed large nut displays; fish stalls; butcher shop and one large olive display.
The final destination during our visit to the market was the fresh fowl section. You select the chicken, turkey or duck of your choice. You pay and it is killed and plucked if you wish(for an added fee). I did not spend to much time here.
My next week entails meeting the Minister of Interior; participating in a promotional process; reviewing a material request from one of the departments I work with and getting ready for a "road trip" to Berat.This will be a sightseeing and wine tasting adventure. I think I can do this!!!
Hi Uncle Mark! Sounds like everything is going well. Your apartment looks nice and i am glad you found an olive supplier...this will be key when Madlyn comes to visit. :)
ReplyDeleteMiss you
Honey, you really outdid yourself this time..I'm sure for my benefit, the pics of the olives AND the dead birds..Can't wait to get there and help decorate the apartment..Maybe a REBEL poster would be appropriate with the Red and Grey..
ReplyDeleteGlad you're enjoying yourself...Love always, M
Hi Mark! The kitchen and the open air market both look very appealing. We'll be awaiting reports on some of the new foods you will try; while hoping that you walk more than you drive.
ReplyDeleteThis is a test of the emergency broadcasting .... ooops.!!! LOL
ReplyDeleteMark, after help from Madlyn I finally figured out how to write on this blog. From the pictures it seems that much of the traditions have not changed; fresh produce, fresh meats, fresh air!! At least the inside of the apartment shows some updating!
ReplyDeleteI especially liked the pictures from the old fortress you visited. I was also there some time ago and both the fortress and old market pictures brought back memories! Ahhh, how some things don't change!
Here in Vegas we had some wet weather. From Monday through Friday we got between 1.6 to 2 inches of rain. Some areas, such as Red Rock got snow...a few inches! You know what that means for the cabin! Over five feet of snow. Guess I'll be shoveling again. Will miss your help!!! LOL.
The baby is doing fine. Already a week old can you believe?! Love being a grandfather.
Joey says hello. He's getting over a flu that came with chills and such.
Well, more later. Keep the info coming!
Hi Poppa!
ReplyDeleteWe just loved catching up with you on Saturday and you're right that IS the largest display of olives I've ever seen. BLECH! Thomas keeps asking to talk to you, so we'll see you again this weekend. Keep safe this week and get a photo of the traffic circle if you can. I'd love to see it!
Hi Mark,
ReplyDeleteThank you for writing so beautifully about your new life in Albania. How lucky we are to be invited to share your experiences with you. What a kaleidoscope you are in! But really, who has a job that starts with sightseeing, castles, and did you say a wine tasting tour? I drooled over the pictures of the market, especially the olives, (perhaps it runs in the family), but I don’t think I could choose a bird for execution. How do you like fish?
Your cousin Susan Nugent
Honey, Susan couldn't post so she asked me to..
love your words and pictures! your kitchen looks fabulous, I can see you cooking spagetti! I think I could get used to the open air markets! thanks for letting us share in your new life!
ReplyDelete-Dodie
Hi Mark,
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you arrived safely. Nice kitchen! Happy to hear that your apartment is safely perched above the Swedish Embassy. It's interesting hearing about your adventures thus far. Don't eat too many olives in one sitting. Stay safe.
Love, Jan and Mike
Hi Mark,
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to let you know that I think your kitchen is AWESOME!
Katie Weber (Lauren's friend)